Sunday, November 22, 2009

Oink

Oh my god it's been forever and I hate when that happens. I am always thinking about things to write here and then I am too tired or work is killing me or I want to read or I get sick or I'm busy having life outside of my computer. This time it was a royal combination.

Now then... I have a theory about swine flu. Well, more like a theory about the vaccine. The very rare, slowly produced, yet highly promised vaccine distributed by the government and your local walgreens.

First of all. The regular flu kills about 36,000 people in the US every year. That's a large number that never makes the news. H1N1 or Swine is just a new and different flu that most people under the age of 45 haven't ever been exposed to before. So it sucks. Because it packs a wallop and it happens to be life threatening in some different ways than the regularly flu, but the one that is the biggy for both - the flu turned pneumonia.

Ok now then, here is my big theory on the scarcity of vaccines. I'm pretty sure the government wants the bulk of its citizens to get swine flu. Why? Because for the majority of us it's a pain in the ass but it naturally builds our immunity. It saves the government a lot of money, makes money for the news channels reporting THE PANDEMIC and gives us all something to talk about during the winter instead of the economy or "happy holidays" vs "merry christmas". So the government pumps out enough vaccine to get those people with asthma and other respiratory issues covered and then lets the rest of us writhe in bed with a chest cough from hell for like... 4 days.... and then we go back to work feeling like heroes because we survived THE SWINE FLU PANDEMIC.

In other words - relax. It's time off to watch movies. If your fever lasts more than 3 days call the doctor. In the meantime cover your mouth and wash your hands. :) And don't wait on the vaccine. It's not coming.

1 comment:

  1. This was the worst flu ever. Hated it. But I agree with your theory. All a distraction indeed.

    I'm still coughing :( though, not as bad as before thank god.

    ReplyDelete