Monday, August 31, 2009

Do I Have A Degree Yet?

Here is how the conversation usually goes:

"Congratulations on finishing! That's so exciting! What are you doing now?"

"I'm trying to get a job barista-ing or cocktailing or something so I can have my days to write."

"Oh... are you getting published? Do you have a book agent?"

"Not yet, I'm working on short stories and increasing my portfolio right now. But I'll be figuring all that out after the new year."

"Oh. Short Stories... heh.... really.... Well that sounds great!"

Just in case you wanted to have that conversation with me - oh look!! It's already been had, so you can feel at ease now.

The weird thing is, there was a gathering, a celebration of talent where I read (SUPER WELL I DID GOOD FOR REALS), family and friends were involved, drinking ensued... it felt like graduation, professors referenced it as graduation, but you know what? Somewhere out there, a box with my thesis is floating around being judged and it could take up to six months before i get the A-Ok. So... am i degreed? Or...? I'm gonna pretend I am. Cuz I am, right? You were there. Well, not you, but some of you.

Anyways, I'm writing new things. YAY! And I'm looking for work! I've gotten a few nibbles but nothing jumping out at me. If you know any place that needs a barista, or a really hot cocktail waitress that only has coffee experience, lemme know!! I can hustle with the best of them. :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. You're laughing, right? ;)

    Yay for new things! I'm sorry I missed the reading. I bet you were great and I'll always live to regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Please. ALWAYS feel that a part of you is missing from not experiencing the beauty of the reading. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete